Academic and philological elaboration of a text of a high rank and authoritarian status in official Judaism. General introduction into the phenomenon of targumism and detailed introduction into the Targum.
The aim of the translation of the Aramaic text of Targum Jonathan into Polish, together with the general introduction into the phenomenon of targumism and a detailed introduction into Targum Jonathan, as well as providing all the material with detailed explanatory notes of philological and exegetic character. Targum Jonathan is an Aramaic translation of the second collection of Hebrew Bible, that is the Prophets” (Nebi'im), the current text comes from III-IV century, but contains much older traditions, which may originate from I-II century, or even from an earlier period. Targum Jonathan is the current version represents a Babylonian tradition, but also contains elementspeculiar of Palestine tradition. Rabbis considered Targum Jonathan an official BabylonianTargum to prophetic books, which indicates its unusual rank and authoritarian status Occupied in official Judaism.
The basic principle adopted by translators and scientific editors is faithfulness to the original - formal equivalence. The Polish text aims to reflect the essence of the Aramaic text of a given book, and at the same time be clear for the contemporary Reader. In the cases of difficulties occurring in reading the Aramaic text, explanatory notes will be introduced.
History of execution
Further stages of project execution:
- Library query of source texts and compilations pertaining Targum Jonathan;
- Analysis and editorship of the Aramaic text vol. I, the so called Earlier prophets; Elaboration of the Introduction and notes; bibliography and footnotes;
- Analysis and editorship of the Aramaic vol. II. The so called Later prophets. Translation into Polish; Elaboration of the Introduction and marks; bibliography and footnotes;
- Publishing process: editorship, revision, typesetting and print;
- Organization of conferences.
Effect of implementation
- Publication of Targum Jonathan in 2 volumes:
1. “Earlier prophets” (Joshua, judges, Books of Samuel, Books of Kings)
2. “Latter prophets” (Isaiah, Jeremiah, Ezekiel, Twelve Prophets: Hosea, Joel, Amos, Abdias, Jonah, Micah, Nahum, Habakkuk, Zephaniah, Haggai, Zechariah, Malachy.
- Organization of Polish national academic conference: "Interpretacja Biblii Hebrajskiej w Targumie Jonatana". [“Interpretation of the Hebrew Bible in Targum Jonathan”].
- creation of webpage www.aramaica.uksw.edu.pl
- Dissemination of research results on Targum Jonathan and studies on the topic on other webpages, e.g. orygenes.pl.
Impact of the result on: development of science, economy, society
The translation of Targum Jonathan will enable a Polish reader get familiar with remarkable wealth of Jewish tradition, which relates not only to ancient translation and exegetical techniques, but, in the first place, to find out new elements introduced to the Aramaic version of the prophetic books, which enrich the biblical text.