Project, the aim of which is to demonstrate the functioning of the Anglican church in the state-church relation and as a specific entity of international law.
Determining the status of the Anglican Church as an international law entity in terms of state-church relations.
A detailed methodology encompasses the following scope of research:
- The analysis of domestic and international primary and secondary resources.
- Archive queries.
- Application of the monograph method - detailed study of the theological rationale behind the existence of the Anglican Church as an entity of international law.
- Critical analysis of legal acts regulating the position of the Anglican Church on an international arena will allow for the determination of the true operation of the Anglican Church and its accomplishments.
- Participation in domestic and international conferences encompassing the issue discussed.
- Consultations with foreign professors, especially ones from British universities.
- The analysis of the actual legal phenomena by the utilisation of the synchronic method.
- The analysis of canon law of the Anglican Church and the Catholic Church including the historical aspect, by application of the diachronic method.
- Comparative method will allow, after finding out common traits of the analyzed entities of international law, for the investigation of the role of the Anglican Church on the international arena, with particular focus on the relation with the Catholic Church, the European Union, The United Kingdom, and Poland.
History of execution
The project is in the final phase of its execution, which is composed of: the editorship of the research monograph in Polish, and publication of the most important research results in English and Italian in various magazines of at least all-Poland range, with particular emphasis on international magazines.
Research tasks were pursued through wide-ranging consultations and research queries. The researcher participated in the General Synod of the Church of England, and also in several international conferences pertaining the legal position of church communities: The Catholic Church and the Church of England.
During the research query in the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, he searched through the archives of: The British Parliament, the Westminster Abbey, and the National Archive. Besides, he worked in the libraries of the University of Oxford, King’s College in London and in West London University.
In Rome, in turn, he completed an academic internship at the Pontifical Gregorian University, and cooperated, among others, with: The Anglican Center in Rome, the Pontifical Council for the Promotion of Christian Unity, the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith (in the archive of which he also performed a research query) and Centro pro Unione.
He consulted academics, lawyers, priests and bishops of various Christian denominations in the topic of the Church of England.
Effect of implementation
The project is in progress, however part of the publications has already been published. In the tab “Materials”, all publications of the author were presented, in the first place the ones pertaining the pursued research project.
Impact of the result on: development of science, economy, society
The possibility of finding the legal position of the Church of England influences its functioning in the Polish, European and international legal system, which allows for the increase of cooperation of the state mechanism with a religious group.
At the same time, basic research allow for the presentation of knowledge, useful not only to lawyers and canonists, but also to sociologists, religiologists, anthropologists of culture and religion, and other scientists interested in the topic of research, in an innovative way. There is no doubt, at the same time, that the research conducted by a catholic canonist presents the problem of the ecumenical dialog, directing it, somehow, also at the ground of legal dispute, which is based on facts, and legal acts of both communities: catholic and Anglican, at the same time.
Besides, acquiring and broadening the knowledge about the very Church of England, its operation and dogmas is also an occasion to investigate the Polish society, where the community, though marginally, operates. The impact of the Anglican stream of Christianity is highly rooted in Poland. New knowledge always allows for the broadening of horizons and becomes an ideal contribution to conduct research in the field of legal position of other entities of ecclesiastical nature operating in Poland. Churches and other religious communities participate in shaping the society, its thoughts and moral attitudes. The task of a lawyer is therefore to determine their legal position, or even an attempt at regulating relations between the state and entities of this type, so that they can enjoy the freedom of actions in a democratic state of law, the guarrantee of which is the dignity of an individual, especially respecting the inherent human rights.